Tuesday, December 9, 2008

All About Me
“All About Me”Hello my name is Ty-easha. This is my third semester in college. All throughout my years in school I enjoyed taking English related courses, and still to this day. It allows me the opportunity to be creative with my thinking and writing. English has played a major role in my life; as well as, my mental development and self-esteem. During high school all my English course came easy and fun to me, although sometimes the work load would be heavy. Before completing other homework assignments I would do my English work first, because it was more interesting and time seem to go by faster. I would be done with my English homework within a good hour or two then I would do all my other assignments like math and history. Before attending college I felt that English would become more difficult and complicated, and more critical and constructive then high school English courses; which all turned out to be true. My instructor was very helpful with making the transition from high school English to college English courses very simple and enjoyable.I believe my writing has improved over the past year; although I still feel I have minor set-backs such as analytical writing and critical thinking, because it would take me a while to come with ways of wording and starting off my paper. Once I got the hang of it and came up with more ideas for my writing I was able to go from there and add more ideas; within a three hour period I would have about a 3-4 pages of brainstorming or a rough draft. Looking back on my writing the most difficult writing for me was writing based upon creating your own definition for a word or terms. I found this the most difficult because this writing involved complex thinking both critically and analytically. The word I decided to define was “Survival” just by looking at this word many ideas, thoughts, and images come to one mind. My work was based on surviving in the working class, and urban poverty stricken communities; such as Detroit. I related to the way of living in Detroit to that of the third world. “In rural areas, individuals are going without food, water, and other basic necessities. Moreover, they began utilizing river waters and related resources as a mean to survive.” In both society individuals are seeking alternative ways for living a more comfortable, simple and easy life. They are coming up with a variety of ways to use resources that they already have or capable of obtaining. Although this particular writing was more difficult for me at the end it turned out to be a good paper, and I was very pleased with my writing and the instructor’s feedbacks.A quote by Lord Byron, “ But words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling, like dew, upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.” My thoughts related to reading and writing is that knowing how to read and write is very crucial in education and in any profession. Individuals who are capable of reading and writing tend to be more persuasive and intelligent. A doctor who has major grammatical errors would be quickly overlooked, be considered unintelligent, and unprofessional.

No comments: